Shortly after we detailed several indicators that the Galaxy S8 Oreo Beta Program would begin rolling out in the month of November, we now have a full changelog for the update.
Many users on Reddit already found references to the beta in the Samsung+ and Samsung Members app. In addition, over the past few weeks, many of Samsung's first-party apps received updates to support Android 8.0. With all of these signs it was just a matter time of before the full list of changes were revealed.
The changelog comes courtesy of thesbros on Reddit, via a thread entitled, "I have the Oreo Beta, AMA." With the thread, they also posted several screenshots showing the size of the update and integration of autofill APIs from Oreo. From the screenshots, we can see that the update brings Samsung Experience 9.0. The update checks in at a size of 1.4 GB — no surprise this is a large file considering this is a major Android version jump.
Among the most noticeable changes are launcher shortcuts, colored media notifications, autofill API support, and notification channels. All of these features are brought about by the changes introduced in Android Oreo. This update also brings support for dual messengers to the S8, a feature that allows you to sign into two Facebook, WhatsApp, or other messenger accounts on the same device.
The user that posted the changelog screenshot also insists that the S8 software experience is much smoother on Oreo, but we've all heard that line before. One of the biggest question marks with beta software is always performance and battery life. As soon as the beta arrives on our device we will provide a guide discussing the features and performance of Oreo on the S8 series.
UPDATE: The Oreo beta is now live, and you can see how to sign up here.
It appears from the discussion on Reddit that the beta program is not officially live yet. The users that have already received the update were able to reverse-engineer the process in the Samsung+ app to get the update early.
For everyone else, we are likely looking at an official announcement of the beta from Samsung sometime tomorrow (November 2). Remember to be quick and grab the update from the Samsung+ app when it goes live, as each carrier/variant only has 7,500 slots available.
The full changelog is below, and the text was transcribed directly from Samsung's changelog, so it's as official as it gets. Let us know in the comments if you see any particular changes that pique your interest!
- Version: Samsung Experience 9.0
- Build Numbers: G950USQU1ZQJJ, G950UOYN1ZQJJ, G950USQU1ZQJJ
- Size: 1414.67 MB
Quick Panel Changes:
- Manage notifications for each supported app with Notification Categories.
- Icons will be shown at the bottom of the panel for notifications that aren't currently visible.
Home Screen Changes:
- Touch and hold a supported app to display shortcuts to common or recommended tasks within that app.
- Notification badges on app icons and in the notification panel are now synced. Clear a notification on one, then it will clear on the other.
Samsung Keyboard Changes:
- New toolbar gives quick access to common functions.
- GIF keyboard lets you send GIFs using Samsung Keyboard.
- More high-contrast keyboards are available.
Edge Screen Changes:
- Improved font size, color, and other settings for better Edge panel visibility.
- Touch and hold the Edge panel to change its position.
- Added three more Edge lighting effects and color customization for apps.
Samsung Cloud Changes:
- View and manage photos and notes stored only in Samsung Cloud.
- Store any type of file in Samsung Cloud Drive.
- Select specific items to delete or restore from backup data.
- View the size of all your backups and see how many items they contain.
Samsung Dual Messenger:
- Install a second copy of a messaging app so you can use two accounts at the same time. For apps that verify accounts using phone numbers, you'll need a different phone number for each account.
- Touch and hold a messaging app on the Home or Apps screen to install the second account, or go to Settings –> Advanced features –> Dual Messenger.
Find My Mobile Changes:
- Back up Secure Folder remotely in Samsung Cloud when your phone is lost.
- Samsung pass can be locked remotely.
Samsung DeX Changes:
- See more apps listed at once by changing the app list view to full-screen.
- Use Game launcher in Samsung DeX for a full-screen gaming experience.
- Added support for two additional Samsung covers (LED View Cover, Clear View Standing Cover).
- In Bluetooth, high-quality audio codecs, including AAC and Sony LDAC, are supported.
- In Video, auto-repeat and 2x speed are added.
- Voice Recorder provides smart tips to conveniently block calls while recording.
- Flag Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync emails in Email.
- A sticky notification tracks your steps in Samsung Health.
- Clock offers Landscape mode and timer sound options.
- Tap the digital clock widget to go to Clock directly.
- Manage user names and passwords in third-party apps using Samsung Pass.
- Added new unified workspace for Knox Workspace and Android for Work.
Want to help support Gadget Hacks and get a great deal on some sweet new tech? Check out all the deals on the new Gadget Hacks Shop.