All across the web, you'll find guides on setting up various apps and mods for your Android device—but while these are certainly useful, they all seem to be working under the assumption that the reader has a certain level of knowledge about Android. For someone that's just getting started with the world's most popular mobile operating system, the basics of Android simply aren't covered as well as they should be.
For several months now, we've been working on a series of Android guides with one common goal—to educate users on topics they aren't entirely familiar with. By this point, we've amassed quite a few of these Android Basics tutorials, so we're happy to share a list of links below. The guides are organized into two main sections, and the full list is in ascending order based on experience level—after all, we all have to start somewhere, right?
- How to Install Apps from Google Play or the Amazon Appstore
- How to Connect to a Wi-Fi Network
- How to Pair a Bluetooth Device
- How to Add or Import Contacts
- How to Take a Screenshot on Any Phone or Tablet
- How to Use Android's Share Menu
- How to Send Content Wirelessly with Android Beam
- How to Set Up Google Now to Get a Predictive Personal Assistant
- How to Add Your Own Ringtones & Notification Sounds
- How to Tell What Android Version & Build Number You Have
- How to View Your Location History
- How to Set Up Multiple Users on the Same Device
- How to Manage App Permissions on Android Marshmallow
- How to Enable 'Unknown Sources' to Sideload Apps
- How to Set a Mobile Data Warning or Limit to Avoid Overage Fees
- See if Your Device Supports USB OTG to Plug in a Mouse, Keyboard, & More
- How to See What Kind of Processor You Have (ARM, ARM64, or x86)
- How to Enable Developer Options & USB Debugging
- How to Disable Doze & App Standby for Individual Apps
- How to Install ADB & Fastboot on Windows, Mac, or Linux
- How to Capture a Logcat for Detailed Bug Reports
- What is Root? Android Root Explained in Detail for Beginners
- How to Root Over 300 Devices Using CF Auto Root
- How to Install BusyBox Commands on a Rooted Device
- How to Install the Xposed Framework
- How to Activate a Newly-Installed Xposed Module
- How to Install a Custom ROM
This is an ongoing project, so we'll continue to create Android Basics tutorials and update this article with new links as they're published. If you have any friends or family members who are new to Android, we'd encourage you to share this article with them directly.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions.